Sunday, March 21, 2010

Music to my ears


I think it's safe to say that I enjoy a good hardrock-headbanging tune now and then. So I was excited when the original members of Creed reunited and released a new album last October.

"Full Circle" is the 4th album by Creed and it does not disappoint. If you like Creed, you will like this new set of songs. As in the past, Scott Stapp (lead vocals) and Mark Tremonti (guitars, back up vocals) are the two main components of this group. Overcome, Rain, and A Thousand Faces are their best, and released in that order. I also like the song Full Circle, which is definitely written about Scott and his reunion with the other band members. Away in Silence and Suddenly are also very good.

With any album there's always a song or two that just don't belong. Bread of Shame is that song. I don't know if I have even made it through the whole song yet...it just goes on and on and on. I also noticed that some songs definitely emphasize the guitar more than the vocals - almost overpowering the words at times. I'm sure this is done purposely - maybe a agreement between band members so that everyone has their turn in the spotlight...it's not all about Scott anymore.

If I had to rate this album, I would give it a 7 out of 10. As much as I love Creed's sound, their religious undertones, deep vocals, and gifted guitar, I think they can do better. Here's hoping their tour lands them in a venue near me, and I am already looking forward to their next album.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've ever heard anything other than their radio songs...and probably nothing in the last year or so. You'll have to lend me the album. :)

    ReplyDelete