Thursday, March 4, 2010

Disappointing

Title: Echo in the Bone
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Tags: American Revolution, historical fiction, 18th Century, Scotland, Outlander series

I had great expectations for this book. I re-read the entire series (all six previous books!) so I could pick up where we left off with A Breath of Smoke and Ashes. I was very excited to start this book. What a waste of time and effort. Echo in the Bone is a meandering, disjointed, badly edited book. Jumping from story to story is bad enough but all the side stories that contribute nothing to the plot are a waste of time.

Brianna's character is horrid. She's a snide, nasty, self-righteous person; much more so than Claire, which is saying a lot. Can't take it. I wish Roger would toss her over and find someone pleasant. The William/Lord John chapters do not fit in this book. I thought that is why Ms. Gabaldon wrote all those Lord John books. That is where all these stories belong, not here. What was the editor thinking? Since she can sell books, let her write exactly what she wants?

I don't know why this book has gone so far off-track. I refuse to finish reading this book. I'm one-third of the way through and have been sadly disappointed by almost each chapter. I don't care what happens now. I'm very confounded by this book -- 800 pages of wandering stories. For instance, when Ian takes the two "boys" to brothel. Why include that story? It means nothing to the plot line other than to include Arch Bug. These characters will never be seen again unless she sticks them in later in some other book. And will they be remembered? Doubtful.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. Read at your own risk. Can I give the book one star?

No comments:

Post a Comment