Thursday, July 8, 2010

Relentless

Review by: Do

Title: Relentless
Author: Dean Koontz
Copyright: 2009


Any Dean Koontz fans out there? I started reading his fantastic thrillers when I was still in my teens, and have been a fan ever since. As always, some better than others, but always entertaining.

I borrowed 2 books from my mom recently. 'The Gargoyle', by Andrew Davidson, and 'Relentless', by Dean Koontz. I started 'The Gargoyle', which is advertised as a "New York Times Bestseller", and in which my mom insisted "gets better" - but after numerous chapters I just lost interest. That book was a bit too graphic for me, and I started to get tired of reading about how the pool fella was going to kill himself...get on with it already then! I decided to take a little break from that book and just give a little peek to 'Relentless'.

Let me tell you, I was hooked right in the first chapter. He always knows how to grab your attention right at the beginning and he doesn't let go. He makes you want to finish because you have to know what happens! This particular book centers around a family of 3 who have their every day lives turned upside down by sadistic & cruel idealists who wish to shape their own society. Cubby & Penny have a 6 year old son Milo who is, by all accounts, a genius, but still a child at heart. Also a part of their family is their adopted dog Lassie who plays a very important roll in their lives and in this book. (SPOILER ALERT: For those of you, like me, who hate to see an animal harmed in any way, shape, or form in books, movies, and/or in real life, it is my duty to let you know that no Lassie was harmed in the making of this book). Moving on....

At first , I tried to read this book at night after my family had gone to bed, which is sometimes my only real free time. But this book was so convincing in its malicious nature that I found myself deciding that is was much too scary to read at that point in time. I never noticed how dark and scary my house could be so late at night!

This book was very well written, as usual. A great thriller, fairly gory, somewhat sad, and even a bit funny. I enjoyed this book immensely, and it's one of the better D.K. books I have read in a long time. I am actually hoping he brings the remaining characters out of hiding and writes another exciting story about them...or would that be impossible with how the story ended?? I guess you'll just have to read it and find out.

2 comments:

  1. I've only ever read one Dean Koontz book; it scared the crap outta me. I've got Relentless now. I may need to work up to it. :-)

    ReplyDelete