Sunday, July 18, 2010

Chittenango Falls

Review by Do


Earlier this month my husband and I went on a day trip to Chittenango Falls, in Chittenango NY. I have always wanted to go and we ended up alone on July 4th weekend, so my husband planned a nice drive out for us. This is a pic from the top of the Falls. We had a gorgeous day too...we really lucked out.


We cautiously walked down rock stairs as they were pretty steep. I wouldn't recommend this excursion for someone who isn't prepared for a good hike. These are pics from the bottom of the falls on a wooden bridge that crosses over the ravine. There was a family playing in the water at the bottom, but I'm not real sure if that's actually allowed or not.

We continued across the bridge and up the other side of the falls. The trail is tricky in parts, but mostly comprised of steps carved into the rock. There isn't much of a rail to speak of, but it is not too difficult to make it all the way around the falls.


This was our tour guide (my husband). He picked up a trail map as we entered the park, and he planned our hike for the day. The trails names are pretty self explanatory. Trail A, the Gorge Trail, travels down, around, and back up the other side of the falls. This is the trail you would take if you just wanted to see the Falls. Trail B, Creekside, takes you up the creek and back.

After Trail A and Trail B, we pitstopped for a drink and then our tour guide decided we would continue on to Trail C, Chips Trail, which heads on into the woods. I still am not too sure why it's called Chips Trail, it should be called Desolate Forest trail. This trail didn't seem to be too widely used, but what the heck, we gave it a try. Our quick hike on Trail C led us to Trail D, Meadows Trail, at which point I thought the locals were going to step out of their house and shoot at us for trespassing. This was a very extended trail through...of all things...a meadow, who knew?? We did not venture on Trail E, Meadow Extended Trail, because I wanted to make it home that night. Trail C-E are through the woods and meadow with no sight of the Falls, and no wildlife that I could see. At one point we seem to have been following the power lines with the hope it would lead us back to civilization. We joked we should be leaving bread crumb trails 'cuz it all started to look familiar...again. Look kids Big Ben! (see National Lampoon's European Vacation for inside joke). After about an HOUR, my experienced tour guide, who kept insisting he was a human compass, did manage to find our way back. (note to self: do not let tour guide lead the way on Trail C, D, and esp not E, ever again).

We had a great time at the Chittenango Falls. The day was beautiful, the park was not packed, the falls were gorgeous, and I love hikes. The park also includes picnic areas, charcoal grills, a small playground, volleyball nets, and would make a wonderful place to have a family outing. To view the falls, I would positively recommend Trail A and Trail B.

I think I just talked myself into a family trip back so the kids can enjoy the falls too. If I can get everyone on board, maybe we'll plan a picnic lunch after we explore the falls. I know they'll love it as much as I did.

2 comments: