Monday, June 28, 2010

A Kitchen Reborn

Review by: Do

Earlier this month we started to remodel our kitchen and dining area. I am thrilled to announce it is finally complete!! What a long and stressful project that was, but the results are awesome!

I think it turned out beautiful! I never really noticed before how terrible it looked before...I guess I had just gotten used to it.

This project was no easy task, and it certainly didn't happen over night (although during the process I prayed many times that it would).


Our transformation started over a year ago. We purchased our new flooring from Lowe's in January 2009 because it was an excellent price. Come to find out, it was mis-marked, but they sold it to us for that price any way. This was our first step in making our new kitchen a reality.



Then last summer we added in our new color scheme for the dining area. Previously it was a two-tone green/creme color that had really started getting on my nerves. I wanted to brighten the room so it would look nice and cheery. After many discussions, arguments, and color swatches taped to the walls, we ended up with a nice peach tone. I like the two/tone, arm rail look, so we continued with that. The top color is called New Peach and the bottom is called Island Shores (both: brand name Valspar, purchased at Lowe's). We opted for the decorative white chair rail.


In April 2010 we purchased our new dining area table and chair set, and my new bakers rack. We got them because, long story short, we ended up with a credit at the local Raymour & Flanigan furniture store, which coincidentally enough, is my husbands employer. So on top of our credit, he also gets a good discount. We stored those two items in our garage (mostly covered) for about two months.


In May 2010 we ordered our new cabinets. We did a lot of pre-planning for this purchase. My husband got quotes from everywhere. Home Depot, Lowe's, local cabinetry places, and wow were they expensive! We ended up ordering them from a local Bargain Outlet. I was really unsure about that route, but they aren't second hand or anything (which is what I immediately thought). They are all new, name brand, and in stock! The one downfall....my husband had to put them all together. He said they were pretty easy, and any defects/damages we ran into were quickly replaced by the store. While we waited for demolition day, my husband started putting them together and storing them in the garage.


June 3rd was demolition day, so the week prior we were removing EVERYTHING from the kitchen and finding a temporary home for it. My downstairs was completely filled and my sons room also was used. Take from the up, move to the down...over and over and over again. It's hard to find space for stuff in a house with no extra space.


My husband took that Thurs/Fri off from work and planned to baracade himself in the house to get it as much done as possible. My brother also spent the better part of that weekend helping.
The kids and I were asked to leave and stay at my Mom's house for the weekend. I wish I could have been more help, but I understand that more can get done without us there. These are just a couple snap shots from that weekend.












The new plan is a relocation of the fridge, and to add an island. We really needed more counterspace and cabinet storage area. We added 3 cabinets above, 3 cabinets below, and 2 drawers in the island section. The sink, stove, and diswasher remained in their same spots. We purchased a new gas stove (as the other was over 12 years old) and we decided to install an over-the-range microwave to save on counter space too. We extended the bottom color in the dining area to the top in the kitchen area, just to shake things up a bit.

And the final product......drum roll please.....

Kitchen before..........and..........Beautiful Kitchen after!!











Dining area before.......and.......Dining area after!!










I am still in awe as to how much of a difference there is. I love love love my new kitchen and dining area. I just walk in there...stop...and smile. :-)

As you have read, my husband was the main contributor to this fabulous transformation. Without him and his determination to get the job done, it would probably still not have been started to this day. I wish I could make him understand how grateful I am for all his hard work and sacrifices, which made this all possible. I hope if he reads this, he realizes how much we love him and how much we appreciate everything he does.

Up next...my new sunroom!! (just kidding honey) ;-)

1 comment:

  1. It looks fantastic. I think we'll hire Steve & Douglas to come down! :)

    ReplyDelete