Monday, April 26, 2010

Yogini

Title: The Studio - Yogini Workout
Instructor: Ellen Barrett
Tags: Yoga, Pilates
Review by: Do


Yogini...ever heard of it? Me neither.

I ran across this dvd while I was searching my local library database for a new pilates workout. Yogini combines a "pinch of power yoga, core-Pilates, and bookcamp-style energizers". That sounded like an interesting combo to me, so I thought I would give it a try. I figured a little yoga - a little pilates...no biggee.

The instructor is Ellen Barrett, who has taught yoga/pilates for years. She is a very energetic instructor, one of the few I actually like. She's fun, encouraging, and she doesn't bombard you with needless comments and stupid stories that disrupt your focus. I really don't like that.

So my first attempt at this new yogini - "where stretch, strength, and cardo converge" - was not very good. It was a lot more difficult than I had anticipated. You start by warming up with deep breathing, no prob. Next comes some basic yoga & pilates moves, which again is not a problem for me. I have tried them both for years...I'm not real sure that I'm good at it, but I do understand most of the poses and can get there, eventually. Once she moved into the power yoga, I was struggling. Plank position, lower down, cobra pose, to downward dog...that was killer. My arms were (and are) hurting! I don't even know how long we did those. She let loose on some killer core work at the end. I am only able to hold the pose at this point, and didn't even try the pulsing. All in due time my friends, all in due time.

This dvd is not new, being released in 2008. The workout is approximately 45 minutes long, but it certainly flows by, and doesn't seem that long. Don't get me wrong though, I was happy when the cool down stretching arrived.

I would recommend this to someone who has done yoga and pilates before - but still be prepared. It is a tough workout that I will certainly be trying again. To my surprise, this particular instructor has many varied yoga & pilates workouts on the market. I have already requested some newer ones from the library. And if you do decide to try it, be sure to let me know how you did (and how long YOUR arms were hurting)! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. So where does the "ini" part of yogini come in? I'm more of a walk around the block kind of girl...that yoga stuff scares me. I'm afraid I'll do it wrong and fall over.

    ReplyDelete