Thursday, April 1, 2010

Hopping down the bunny trail

-an Easter post from Do

I have very fond memories of Easter from when I was little. I used to love everything about the holiday...from the jelly bean hunt to the beautiful Easter dress I would get every year. We would always color eggs and my Dad would insist we make one for my Gramma (I never really understood why). My mom would fill a large basket with a good amount of candy, including my favorite, fruit slices! My sister and I would always find as many jelly beans as we could...sometimes finding them in the butter, compliments of my Dad. We would always visit my grandparents and then head home for dinner.

Now that I am older I tried to create something for Easter that my kids would remember too. (Info alert: I have a 12 yr old son, and a 7 yr old daughter). I am happy to say that I think I've done it. For the 3rd year in a row I am knee deep in crafting our "Easter egg basket hunt". It was a huge hit the first year, and even now my 12 year old (who knows all the secrets) still asks if I will do it.

My first goal is to find the perfect place for the baskets to be hidden...which really isn't easy. The first year it was inside our cedar chest, and the second year it ended up in the laundry room. This year I was tossing around maybe putting them in the tub, or out on the deck, but I think I am shooting for under my daughters bed! Daring...I know.

Starting on the kitchen table where we have set out our family Easter basket with our colored eggs, I leave a typed letter from the Easter Bunny telling them we are playing a game this year (yes, the Easter Bunny is very computer savvy). Next to the letter I leave a plastic egg with a clue inside that gives hints to where the next egg (with clue inside) is hidden. Then the second egg leads them to the third, and to the fourth, etc. If they follow the clues correctly then eventually will find their personalized baskets filled with goodies!

It's so fun to watch them dart around the house searching for the eggs, and it seems to be a hit with both of my kids. I know eventually when my daughter figures out who the Easter Bunny really is, I won't get to create our fun game anymore, but until then I take great pride in making my silly little rhymes for them.

As always, after our Easter basket hunt has come to an end, we pile into the car and head to my parents house for Easter dinner. This year we're hoping to fly some kites and work in our annual Spring walk, weather permitting. My mother is an excellent cook, and even if the weather is crappy and we are the only ones that show up, it's definitely still worth it.

Have a Happy Easter!!


2 comments:

  1. I wish we could be there! :) I miss Easter at home with you guys. Then again, you would just eat all the deviled eggs.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like so much fun!!! Wish I would have read this before Easter...I'm definitely going to have to play this game next year with Isaiah! He will love it.

    ReplyDelete