Thursday, September 13, 2012

Books...

Review by Ju
First, I'd like to say sorry for being a blogging slack. Second, I'm not really liking the new Blogger interface. WTH -- I know icons are fancy and all but STOP. It's painful.   Okay. Books. You like books? I like books. I've been reading a lot more lately and knitting a LOT less. What I've been reading...
  • Silent Girl by Tess Gerritsen -- Rizzoli and Isles book. There books are seriously unlike the TNT series. I like the series but the books are rather different than the show -- the characters especially. It's rather strange how different. I really enjoyed this installment in the series; centers around Chinatown in Boston. Very interesting.
  • The Passage by Justin Cronin -- this book, I'm still processing. Odd and overly long. It's about a virus that sweeps the world creating an apocalyptic type civilization with weird vampire-like beings. It's hard to explain. If Cronin had a much better editor, I'd have like the book better. I know back story is important but not that important. The sequel comes out in October but I'm not sure I am anxious to read it. It's 600 pages. Eeek.
  • I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak -- I did enjoy this book. It is categorized as a YA book but I'm not so sure about that(language alone is pretty sketchy) but I can see that teens might enjoy it. This book is about discovering yourself and realizing everyone has secrets, desires and dreams. Make a choice, live a life, be something -- we all have the capacity to do great things. Neat book; great story, intriguing characters. He wrote The Book Thief also. Loved that book.
  • Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand -- all 1168 pages of it. I started reading it over a year ago and kept putting it down because, at first, it is written in a strange way. Once you get past that, you can really pick up steam. It's an intriguing cultural and economic philosophy book disguised as a novel. Who is John Galt? He's the man that can stop the world. And he does, and it's a beautiful thing to see. You have to read the book to find out why. That's the "fun" in it.
Currently I'm also reading Righteous Indignation by Andrew Breitbart, An American Son by Marco Rubio, and Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly.

How about you? Reading anything good?

2 comments:

  1. I am wondering if you would recommend "The Book Thief" for a YA? I might know one that needs a book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had huge expectations for I am the Messenger after I read The Book Thief and it wasn't as good as I'd been hoping. Not bad but not great.

    I just finished up The Time Traveler's Wife which I thought was terrible and The Night Circus which I did like. I haven't decided what to read next!

    ReplyDelete