Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Bone Garden

Review by Do:

I read my first book by the well known author, Tess Gerritsen, and I must say that I really enjoyed it.

The Bone Garden
is a great mystery (possibly romantic mystery) that weaves a tale from 1830 in with the present day life of Julia Hamill. Having just gone through a divorce, Julia embarks on a new life for herself in an old rundown house. While digging up the flower garden, Julia finds a skeleton buried on her property, and soon learns that the person was most likely murdered. She feels drawn to finding out who the person was, and why they were buried there in such a manner.

The storyline from the 1830's follows (4) Boston Medical students and the conditions they faced in learning how to become a doctor. One student is accused of crimes he did not commit and must prove himself innocent.

How these two very different sets of circumstances become entwined is very cleverly done. One minute you think you know who the killer is, but really, you have no idea. Although this may be a tale of murder, it is also an unexpected love story that, in the end, inspires Julia to think that she could actually love again.

Tess Gerritsen has written numerous books dating back to 1985. I am very happy that I chose this to be my first book by her. I love mysteries so I cruised through this book in just a couple weeks. The medical circumstances were very interesting and very well researched, and yet not too disturbing. I borrowed this from my mom not knowing that, coincidentally, this is the same author of the new Rizzoli and Isles TV series that debuted on TNT this summer. Since I am also enjoying that show, it is a definite possibility that I may embark on a new Tess Gerritsen novel in the near future.

3 comments:

  1. ooh, this sounds good! I'm adding it to my list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very good book. Did you know Tess Gerritsen is a doctor? And I'm enjoying Rizzoli & Isles also. Love that Angie Harmon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding to my reading list....Thanks!

    ReplyDelete